Friday, June 13, 2014

Memorable People


After days of feeling down and not resilient I couldn’t figure out what was getting to me most; was it that lack of mental stimulation within my community, the superficial, always similar conversations or the lack of respect I perceive to always be receiving from my community. Could it be that I am suffering from what college-students refer to as “senioritis” or am I mentally checked out because of a wonderful upcoming vacation I have? I couldn’t shake the negativity – even after running for miles, trying out various aerobic exercise videos – just couldn't get re-grounded. That day, I wrote the following entry in my journal:

            " There comes a point during your service where resiliency is no longer a survival instinct but               a choice. It happens at a time when you feel so worn down that you give into the wearing                     because you can't find the energy, nor reason to bounce back. A pervasive lack of                                 motivation and unappreciation for all you give. A feeling of un-necessariness and no matter                how hard I try people don't change over night."


I decided to just get going on my to-do list for the day in hopes of some distraction. I decide to re-arrange a couple of things in my house – most people who know me know that I consider this my therapy. As I begin reorganizing my bedroom I hear a familiar yet somewhat recently forgotten voice say “Lauuura”. This young girl’s voice extended the middle vowel making me immediately realize it is my long lost friend Joselin! Joselin is a 14 year old girl who used to practically live with me. She used to spend every waking hour at my house, we would chat, she helped me with house stuff, reminded me about where I put things, taught me how to cook and is just a great presence to have around. Always a positive attitude. She was a great example of resilience. Life has been harder for her than most people I know yet she never complains, always shares what she has earned for herself and doesn't understand why people get sad. 

A couple of weeks ago her and her family had moved to another part of the community due to their “squatting” status in the community. Her family moves from house to house every few months to avoid having to pay squatting fees, otherwise known as rent. She had come by once or twice with her sisters – who also became a permanent fixture in my home- but not as often as she used to.

So, today when she called for me I teased her a bit about “botar-ing” me (throwing me away) because she must have found a boyfriend or something. She shyly laughed and said no. I took out anything I could from the fridge to offer her and we went outside to chat. She was telling me that her mom had finally signed her up for school – she has never been – and that her siblings are also going to go. While she was talking to me about what has been going on in her life lately I realized how much better I began to feel. I started to feel grounded again, remember why I am here and who the people are here whom I love.

I have heard that in life there are a few people who touch a part of you that will never let you forget them. Today, Joselin, a 14 year old Haitian girl who doesn’t understand the concept of profound, life altering moments, restored my faith. My faith in my community, in the future of the kids here, in my service and in unspoken human connection.


Remember your moments -  no matter how insignificant they may seem. Remember the people whom you share those moments with – those are memorable people


My Support Network in Site - without these girls, my Peace Corps would have been really hard
From Left (Joselin, Chi-Chia, Lokenja, Samil & Camil)

No comments:

Post a Comment