Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Living in Santo Domingo!

I am coming up on my third week living and working in the capital city, santo domingo. and am quickly acclimating to the loud noises of guaguas, cars and motos, the smells of trash strewn about the side of every road and the prickling heat that is the result of stagnant, smokey air.  While all of this sounds incredibly uncomfortable, ironically it is quite comforting to know that at least I am living amongst civilization; where people have fancy cars and need those guaguas, that are producing the smokey air,  to get to work.






Working at the Peace Corps office has been a nice change of pace – for someone like me (a person who is constantly straddling the Type A/Type B personality type line) it is the perfect step after the regular 2 year service stint. I get to create new ideas for things, support volunteers out in the field emotionally and programmatically, I get to travel A LOT and have a semi routine! It is ideal for what I want to do in the future and I am really happy that I made the decision to stay.




My first week on the job I traveled a total of about 400-500 miles on public transport to visit 7 volunteers throughout the country. I got to see some beautiful country sides, rivers and mountains I wouldn’t have other wise seen and have finally seen a real life version of the Teletubby Mountain in El Seibo, Dominican Republic! I got stung by a bee for the first time, rode an hour and a half motorcycle to get to one site and even had to take 4 different modes of transport to get to another person’s site.

Teletubby Mountain
El Seibo




Ok Ok enough about work:

Living with the guy your dating is quite the adventure in itself. I couldn’t ask for a more patient person to deal with my neediness to be tidy/organized and clean. We are still getting used to each other and understand that communication is key. It helps that we both travel a lot for work so have our alone time structurally built in. It has been fun and crazy transition! I have learned a lot about myself in the short time living together and know it will only continue!



Some other fun things about living in the capital:
-          The other day we did our first big grocery shop and, after two years of buying red onion I finally bought white! I       know, I know not a big deal but for me it was awesome to even have the option! It allows for less onion-y        tasting fajitas, and not as many tears shed when cutting up the onion!
-          Whole Wheat Bread!
-          Blueberry Bagels!
-          Living across the street from an all-natural juice bar! BINGO and only 1 block away from the ocean
-     My Running route is right on the Ocean on the boardwalk!

the "boardwalk" where I run everyday! - Only a block from my Apt!


So, all in all, life in this new role is great. It fills all of my requirements in my current stage of life:
- Adventure
- Stability/Routine
- Productivity
- Independence within the relationship
- Happiness in Relationship
- Fulfilling Work

No comments:

Post a Comment