Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Eating my way through the last few weeks before arroz con frijoles, pollo y muchisimo platano!!


My 3 week temporary vacation began with a five hour drive to Maine listening to burned CD mixes I made in high school (Vitamin C anyone??). Per usual I stopped at Subway and got my usual turkey and veggie foot-long which was devoured in about 20 minutes...the idea was to keep half for later – does this ever actually happen?!?! I finally get to Bill’s – well, the inn at which he bartends when he is not guiding – and find myself a nice spot at the bar, where I became a permanent fixture for about 10 days. His father is sitting there with a lovely drink and offers to buy me a beer. Turns out his parent were up enjoying a weekend outdoors! As beers kept coming I decided to have a large order of chilli nachos….and so begins a 3 week binge of beer, food and everything unhealthy!!!  For the following 9 days, I enjoyed everything that pub grub and draft beer had to offer. My intention was to come back and home, start prepping and detox with fruits and veggies especially my tuna and feta salad that I love so much! Well, that didn’t happen. I continued with nachos, burgers, sushi, Chipotle, Argentinian steak, BBQ galore and food from every other favorite restaurant and eatery around! It was, and still kind of is, incredible!! (yes it’s still going)

On to more important things (kind of, food is usually my priority but I guess ya’ll are reading this to learn and share in my experience of Peace Corps…)

This last week has been exciting and nerve-racking to say the least! I had some family up here from Maryland and New Jersey for a few days to spend time with while I did some prep stuff. I had a send-off party on Saturday which was a total blast! Thank you to everyone for coming! I am so lucky to have such amazing people in my life and I am seriously feeling the love all around! A special thank you to my parents who made it happen :)
 I Will never forget what it is like to have everyone you love in one place supporting what you are doing and acknowledging that this is where I am supposed to be in my life! A lot of the anxieties and nervousness I have been feeling have subsided since Saturday –i soaked up  the positivity that everyone gave me - it really helped to boost my confidence and excitement to take this adventure on with full force!! and then of course...we partied in true Castello fashion well into the night!!!


love you all

As the party ended and the week ramped up with lunch and dinner dates (yes even MORE food) I have been slowly experiencing what it would be like if life moved in fast forward. In the months leading up to my departure I was feeling one thing (excitement, fear, joy, nervousness) for long periods of time. Then it would change to having them all at the same time for a while. NOW I am experiencing a lot of intense stuff really fast but never the same emotion and never overlapping…confusing I know so let me give you an idea:

-         -  Let’s say that for your ____ birthday you want to skydive. You sign up for it 3 months ahead of time, giving you plenty of time to prep for it mentally…ok, are you with me yet?

-        -   It is jumping day and you are signing your waivers and what-not. You are fully aware that you can opt-out at any time, even on the plane (you can usually stay on it and land if you really don’t think you can do it) yet you still get on and move forward with everything you have to do if your jumping. On the plane ride up – maybe 14,000 feet – you are scared, nervous maybe even anxious – in there lies some excitement still, it may just be blurred with fear. You have no idea what it will feel like or what to expect when that airplane door opens. Your instructor is tying you up to his parachute and is giving you instructions at the 12,000 foot mark. You have no idea what he is saying and are feeling like the time is flying by and you can’t soak in the moment.

-         -  You are on the edge of the plane and can see the curvature of the earth right in front of you. It is breath taking, it is liberating and it is just what you wanted to do and, for some, even need. You couldn’t be more excited in the span of those two seconds.

-          - You jump and experience complete freedom, happiness and liberation all at once!

      Hopefully this gives you a visual...

 FYI to  future invitee’s – if this sounds like you.. I hope you on the right track…I am assuming, given that anticipation is the hardest part of acting, and that this is normal. Good luck to you while you’re on the edge (for me it is with 5 days to go until staging!)

I have been slowly getting things together and definitely procrastinating on a lot with more eating, lounging and watching some serious tv.Excuse me…some serious TRASH tv. Has anyone seen Honey Boo Boo? O my.
Things I am final getting around to:

-          Filling out staging paperwork (registration to become a trainee, beneficiary forms, next of kin forms, insurance, etc.)

-          Decking out my kindle with all sorts of fun stuff – even DR travel books! I have also found a way to get all the attachments and documents that Peace Corps has sent me over the last few months onto my kindle!! How convenient!

-          Answering more questions than I ever have about virtually everything I will be doing. I feel like I keep repeating myself to the same people but that’s not the case – I just direct you all HERE! – thanks for stopping by to find out info on this blog J

-          Eliminating things I will not need in the first few months – including host family gifts for my final site placement host family

-          Fitting in some exercise!!! – went for a run for the first time in a few weeks (that is rare) – just what I needed after weeks of pigging out, trying to finish off a keg to be returned and feeling lethargic (but it was all so good!)

-          Spending serious QT with the family

-          Spending serious QT with boyfriend :)

I had a minor setback on the contact lens front. I spent weeks trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to take contacts. At first I thought dailies! Great solution. It turned out it would be too expensive. I went to the eye doctor to ask about glasses and insurance and we got to talking about bi-monthly contacts. In my neurotic need to get things done, I thought it would be a good idea and ordered them on the spot. Well, on my loaded trip to CVS, I picked up entirely too much solution to pack. As I sat in front of my pack trying to figure out “how” I decided dailies would be the way to go. I ordered more and will be leaving my bi-monthly contacts and solution here to then be brought by Bill or family when they come to visit!!! Sometimes practicality overrides financial struggle.

Speaking of my loaded trip to CVS:
I finally got toiletries – I wasn’t sure what the situation would be in terms of access to personal hygiene stuff in the DR so I tried my best to guess-timate!
o   3 3oz bottles of shampoo (yes that is travel size)
o   1 Venus razor with 4 heads
o   An absurd amount of FHP’s
o   Soap + soap box (which by the way, soap boxes are almost impossible to find around here – thank you REI!!)
o   Sunblock!!!!
o   Hair elastics and head bands
This is what it looked like – yes I spent way too much time in the FHP aisle weighing the pros and cons of, again, practicality. C’mon, there are some luxuries from home that sometimes we may not want to give up – Bill was great and stood with me :) THANK YOU!


shopping
thank god for care packages!
doing my math
                                                                   

I am feeling great about getting on the plane. I anticipated feelings of sadness and fear around this time. It is just the opposite and I couldn’t be happier :)

I will be posting info about what the next few weeks will look like very soon – before Tuesday. I may not have access or time to share with you all what pre-service training it full like but I am hoping that by posting some information on it, you will be able to understand what I am talking about when I do get around to writing what the experience is actually like!

For now, I must sleep as I had too many tacos and a waffle cone full of Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food Ice Cream!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment