Tuesday, June 5, 2012

FAQ's about life as a PC Volunteer

Throughout this past year, as I shared my future hopes of becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer, not only did I receive look of confusion, remarks questioning my sanity and people sharing their own fears but I got a lot of questions that I have been had to repeat a ton - not that I dont like talking about it (trust me, my family could porbably educate you on everything Peace Corps at this point).

So, I will start with the most FAQ I get....

"why??"
   - For as long as I have known about volunteering abroad I have felt that this is the thing for me. I have always had a passion for helping others. I also love to travel and learn about people's expiriences and other cultures. I have always wanted to go abroad and give what I can to families in need living in third world country poverty. As I entered my career as a counselor here in the US, I realized I wanted to take this global and took the plunge to apply - this was in the midst of completing  my graduate school thesis. Upon completing my initial interview, I didn't feel it. It wasn't right. I felt I did not have enough "life expirience" (priamrily work-related) to handle this. So I withdrew my application for a later date. I proceeded to get a full time job and do the standard post-grad route. Day in and day out I knew there was something missing. I went to Colombia with my family and the day I rewturned, I decided I was ready and went ahead to apply.....So, a long-winded answer to a short question...
I followed my heart, and this is where it took me.


"Where are you going?"
    - I will be heading to the Dominican Republic. It is an nation on the island of Hispaniola - shared with Haiti. They speak spanish there and Christopher Columbus landed on it in 1492, and it became the site of the first permanent european settlement in the Americas. Pretty cool huh?


"How long do you go for?"
- I leave a couple days before August 21st to Washington D.C. for Staging. This is the first time all of the Peace Corps Volunteers in your group. We get oriented to Peace Corps Expectations, fill out last minute paperwork and get vaccinations.
 - Next, August 21st, we head to Santo Domingo - the capital of Dominican Republic. We meet our first host families and begin Pre-Service Training - this is where our group will be intensively trained on cross-cultural issues (Dominican customs, food, and etiquette), safety and security, language training (spanish and haitian creole for those who will be based in haitian heavy sites. We will also have technical trainiig in which we will learn a lot about our job sector. We are together as a while group for the first couple of week and then we move into Community-Based Training with our sector group. This is where we focus the most on technical training. Once we complete training we are sworn in as official Peace Corps Volunteers!!! at that point we find out our site placements and meet our new host families who we will live with the first three months at site while we find somewhere to live!!! we Then begin our service at site for 24 months!
              SO TOTAL = 27 MONTHS!!!


"Where do you live?"
Once I am at my site I will be expected to live at a level equal to the host-country nationals with whom they are working. This level differs between project sites and therefore the pay scale is also varied.
Traditional Dominican housing usually has thatch or corrugated steel roofs, walls of wood or cement block and cement floors.


"Will you have running water?"
The water supply is subject to the same inconsistencies as electricity. Many communities do not have water within the homes and those that do often find that there is no water for days at a time.

"Do you think you'll have electricity?"
Although most communities have electricity, some do not; in any case power outages are common throughout the country in both urban and rural areas


"Will you have a toilet? A hole in the ground? a latrine?"
Just like electricity, it depends. Most of what I have seen and heard, is that there are outhouses for the sites in the campo. This is a question that I can answer once I am there.


"What are you taking?"
Well, I have been thinking a lot about this. We are only allowed 80 pounds of luggage. I bet your thinking "how do you fit 2.5 years of your life into 80 pounds?" Well, I can't. I will be taking only the necessities. I will however, be accepting packages once I am downthere - with food and other surprises!!!


"What are your work hours like?"
In accordance with worldwide Peace Corps policies, Volunteers are literally on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As such, the "normal" division between professional and private time does not exist. Volunteers are likely to have work activities during weekends and evenings depending on when beneficiaries and project partners are free to meet. Volunteers are also expected to spend most weekends in their host communities to ensure cultural integration and language acquisition.


"Will you be able to have vacation time?"
Volunteers  earn two vacation days per full month of service (excluding training), or 24 days per year. Vacation provides Volunteers time for travel within the country or elsewhere to increase understanding of that area and have time away from the job for rest and relaxation.
Because Volunteers/Trainees are on duty seven days a week, all types of Volunteer/Trainee vacation leave are computed in terms of calendar rather than work days. For example, a PCV going on vacation for a week must use seven days of annual leave and not five days.
Volunteers/Trainees are expected to stay at their sites on weekends.
In addition to the 24 days of annual leave, all Volunteers/Trainees are entitled to take all official Dominican holidays.


"Can I come visit?!?!"
Visitors from home are encouraged to visit and welcome so long as their presence does not distract or prevent the Volunteer from accomplishing project goals and day-to-day tasks.
During training and the first three months of service, Volunteers/Trainees may not take vacation or receive visitors. Nor may they take vacation or receive visitors during the final three months of service.
   DISCLAIMER: if you are coming to visit, prepare to reserve a large bed and hot water for hot showers at a lush and luxurious all-inclusive on the eastern coast of the DR !!!


"Aren't you scared about your safety?"
Volunteers serve in a variety of communities throughout the Dominican Republic, including urban, semi-urban, rural, and remote areas. Health and safety risks are an inherent part of Volunteer service. Living and traveling in an unfamiliar environment, having a limited understanding of local language and culture, and being perceived as wealthy are some of the factors that can put Volunteers/Trainees at risk. Many Volunteers/Trainees experience varying degrees of unwanted attention and harassment. Some have experienced petty thefts, burglaries, and a variety of illnesses.
Although initially intimidating, the great majority of Volunteers come to feel very safe, welcome, and comfortable living, traveling, and working in the Dominican Republic.
To aid this transition, Peace Corps Dominican Republic has established procedures, policies, and extensive training to help Volunteers/Trainees reduce their risks and enhance their safety and security. Through broad training, all new Volunteers will know what strategies must be adopted in maintaining safe and healthy lifestyles. Throughout all phases of training and service, all Volunteers/Trainees are supported by Peace Corps Dominican Republic medical, safety and security staff that work to consistently notify and protect Volunteers/Trainees from any threats to their safety including national strikes, poor transportation routes, hurricanes, and health threats.


"How are you going to get around the country?"
Public transportation in the Dominican Republic is quite extensive although of a rougher and slower variety than that available in more developed countries. Regular and affordable service is provided by a variety of buses/minibuses/public taxis between most major cities and large towns. In more rural parts of the country, a variety of pick-up trucks and motorcycle taxis are usually available for transport to even the most isolated communities. Within the principal cities such as Santo Domingo and Santiago, a variety of public buses and public taxis make interurban transport quite easy.
We will be provided with training on public transportation shortly after arrival in country.


"What kinds of foods do they typically eat in the DR?"
The staples of the Dominican diet are beans, rice, chicken, pork, plantains, and tropical fruits. The most common dish is the bandera - a mixture of rice, red beans, and a side of chicken or pork. Tropical fruits are available in abundance and include papaya, pineapple, coconut, mango, and lemon among others. A variety of vegetables including onions, avocadoes, cucumbers, carrots, cabbage, lettuce and potatoes are also readily available.
Dominicans tend to eat a small breakfast of bread or a local form of oatmeal served with coffee, hot chocolate or tea. Lunch is the principal, largest meal and usually includes a serving of meat, starch, vegetable, and fruit. Dinner is served late in the evening by American standards and typically consists of plantains, fruit, and meat. With the abundance of tropical fruits, fresh juices and smoothies are enjoyed throughout the day.

Something I found....
An example of what my day will look like during training
  • 8:00 - 9:00 am: Team-building exercise
  • 9:15 - 10:15: Presentation of project plans and goals with Assistant Peace Corps Directors
  • 10:30 - 12:00: Spanish language class
  • Lunch: Optional round-table lunch session with current volunteer about Cultural Identity and Racism
  • 1:00 - 2:30: Spanish language class
  • 2:45 - 4:30: Educational session on geography, climate, and economy of the different regions of the Dominican Republic
ooooo Yeah.... my least favorite question...

"What are you and Bill going to do?"
 For those of you who know our relationship, you know it has never been conventional. He has supported me throughout this whole process and I will thank him for that forever. We have decided to grow independantly and know that when we come back together in 27 months, we will be bringing a whole new set of expiriences. As for how we are going to make it work... We have decided to create a list of books to read together and discuss weekly. this will allow us to have something in common, no matter how far we grow apart. We will also be skyping when possible, teaching each other new things and, mn y favorite...telling each other riddles once/week, trying to figure it out, and then coming back to each other to discuss!!!


Because I feel like I have been preparing for this for sooo long, I cannot remember what some specific questions are/have been. Please leave questions in the comment section if your curious about anything. I may not have an answer but I will most likely tell you follow my blog on my journey and read for the answer!!!

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Laura. My boyfriend is a current PCV in the DR. Almost half of his cohort started their service with significant others and all of them (as far as I know) are still going strong and healthy. Find what works for you and make it work: not every relationship is the same, therefore no couple will handle the distance the same. But if you really do want it to work, it is totally possible. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura, My names ashley... Im in the beginning stages in my PC Application but my recruiter hinted that the DR COULD be where I go haha I know it can change, but im hoping I really get it! Either way, Im in a relationship and I have been thinking how the PC will affect that once I go. Reading you blog helps out a ton, and I love the ideas you and your boyfriend came up with... I will definitely try the same approach with my guy once I leave. I know this post is pretty old, but thanks for having written it! Current future PCV's, such as myself are searching the Internet for any scrap of info and im so glad to have come across your blog! thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ash
      I would be more than happy to talk with you about it! You can email me at lcastello8@gmail.com. With any questions concerns ideas etc.! I can tell you now, it's way easier than we expected as long as you communicate!

      Delete