Saturday, June 2, 2012

things...

As the excitement and whirlwind of information is beginning to settle I have now been able to step back and look at what I need to do. HOLY SHIT there is SOOO MUCH!

I wrote out the statements I needed, applied for my visa, applied for the Peace Corps specific passport and about 190709147 other things I had to do. NOW comes the fun part - cross checking packing lists and making sure I have everything I need.

While parousing the DR specific packing lists I came across the "female" section....and got me thinking about things I have been suppressing.

I will definitely be taking Woman's Moon yogi tea for those days where all I will want to do is curl up with pints of ice cream, lots of pasta, sushi and tear-jerking movies. I will have movies available on my little external hard-dirve but the deliciousness that is ben & jerry's phish food ice cream will be months, maybe years away. I am hoping that Tea will suffice...maybe it's just wishful thinking.

They suggest loading up on F.H.P's (for those of you who have no idea what I am referring to - Feminine Hygiene Products) still nothing? TAMPONS!!.. yup ladies and gents I have chosen to go the conventional route and not opt to take what would probably make the most sense - the diva cup (if absolutely necessary, look it up...) Apparently FHPs are very expensive in the DR which I could imagine leads to a lot of unsanitary conditions leading to infections and poor maternal health during pregnancy - could this be a potential project?!?! BAZINGA!

Headlamps - My boyfriend has bought me my start-up packing stuff including a Petzl Headlamp. This will definitely come in handy for the nights where I am suffering from some awful, unable to pronounce fever/bug/parasite and will be running to the latrine on the hour every hour, needing both hands to find my way there.

Tupperware - they suggest this so that the aforementioned scenario doesn't happen as often. Putting your food in the containers will not allow creatures to steal the food I have been saving weeks for!!!

            Yay RubberMaid!


As my birthday nears and my family asks me what I could use for my trip so they have an easier time figuring out a birthday gift I have been increasingly overwhelmed with every feeling under the sun.

Excitement for this new adventure and purchasing gear for two months (love gear, its so fun)

Terrified and petrified for the post-honeymoon stage of my trip - for dengue fever - for cholera - for having to reject male friends from entering my home (if you do it is expected that you sleep with them)...and more

Confused about what to bring

Existential questions of all sorts - booth Peace Corps related AND quester life crisis stuff

....and it goes on....

Any who, just wanted to share the weekly and daily shenanigans that are  my thoughts....

Happy Reading!

This is one of my photos - It is quite telling of how i feel my brain is working right now....






1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura!

    I enjoyed reading some of your posts, as my husband and I have very similar thoughts/sentiments about this journey we are all about to embark on together. Yay for PC DR Aug 2012! I'm excited to meet you and everyone else in person.

    Anyways, I am SO curious about other women's packing lists. I've been scouring the internet of PC and DR blogs for hints and suggestions. Would you mind e-mailing me what you've got so far? I can do the same, if you are just as curious. My e-mail is kesler.erin@gmail.com . Perhaps, all of us women can start a packing conversation. : )

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete